Moving the open-source stuff from phab.mmmk2410 to GitLab

The journey started in early 2016 when I decided to move my open-source projects and their management away from GitHub. First I launched a cgit instance for viewing the code and set up a gitolite for repository hosting. After a short time I moved the repositories to a self-hosted Phabricator instance at phab.mmk2410.org, because with that platform I had the possibilities for project management like issues or workboards.

But this concept also didn’t last for long.  A few month later I decided to move the repos again. This time to GitLab. And concurrently to this move I set up a mirroring system to display the repositories at my Phabricator instance as well as on my GitHub profile. Since I couldn’t import the GitLab public key into GitHub (“This key is already used by someone else”) and a password authentication did not succeed (don’t ask why, I don’t know) I decided to use Phabricator for that. Phabricator has the ability to observe another repository and pull the changes from the remote repo but it also has the ability to mirror a repository to another remote repository. And luckily it can do both with the same repository. This mirroring system is also further in use to display all my repositories not only on my GitLab but also on my GitHub profile.

Now, after one and a half year, I decided to also move the tasks and wiki articles from Phabricator to GitLab. This should reduce the need for two accounts on two platforms and also the problem, that some people are creating issues on the “wrong” platform. Now contributors can also make use of the referencing abilities of GitLab.

I declined moving everything back when I moved the repositories because I liked (and still like) the way Phabricator works. Instead of GitLab or GitHub it is not repository-centered but project-centered (but not strictly). While in  GitLab or GitHub you create a repository and in this repository you have your complete project management stuff, the wiki, the bug tracker, the CI, etc., in Phabricator, each is its own application and can be used without the need of a repository. For access control or grouping things you can use project, but you don’t have to. Everything also works perfectly on its own. But what is the advantage of it? Well, for some of my projects, like the writtenMorse project, I have several repositories for the different applications. Where would you report, say, a missing code? In Phabricator I had a writtenMorse project and you could create an issue and add the writtenMorse project tag to it. To realize the same thing in GitLab or GitHub you would need a meta-repository for general issues or for wiki articles. This is also the reason why I keep my Phabricator instance running for private purposes.

If you once created an account on phab.mmk2410 and don’t work on any private projects with me, your account was either disabled if you interacted with the platform in some way, or removed in case you didn’t.

The migration is already completed and everything can be accessed on GitLab. The former tasks and wiki pages are still accessible at phab.mmk2410 and are more or less directly linked to the new corresponding GitLab object.

Morse Converter Web App 0.3

Hi folks!

No! The writtenMorse project is not dead!

Yesterday I released version 0.3 of the Morse converter web app. This update brings better performance when converting large texts thanks to a new converting engine written in Dart.

You can test it now live at mmk2410.org/writtenmorse/morseconverter.

Feel free to give me feedback either to me at marcelmichaelkapfer@yahoo.co.nz or on my open-source projects hub. Thanks!

Morse Converter Desktop Version 2.0.0

It’s time that I announce a new version of the morse converter with some awesome new features, that will simplify your converting life:

  • Completely Native UI with tabs
  • Instant converting
  • Intelligent code recognization
  • Update through the app itself. (Not available in the .deb package or in the Ubuntu repository)

Have fun with it!

Download

Morse Converter Desktop Public Beta 1.9.3

Today I publish a public beta version of the next version of the morse converter for desktop systems. This version comes with the following new features:

  • Intelligent code recognization (code and language)
  • automatic / instant converting
  • line break support
  • integrated update function
  • tabbed design
  • native ui on all systems

Feel free to try this version.

Please report all bugs at the bug tracker: https://github.com/mmk2410/morse-converter/issues or to marcelmichaelkapfer@yahoo.co.nz

Download

Morse Converter Android App Version 2.2.7

Version 2.2.7 of the Morse Converter for Android is out and comes with the following changes:

Design

  • Added shadow to the actionbar (exept for tablets)
  • New layout for about
  • Other small design fixes

Functions

  • Added option to donate
  • Added writtenMorse code list
  • Closes keyboard when opening the drawer

Other

  • Fixed links in the about sections
  • Keyboard closes now after convertion process
  • New icon
  • Bugfix: Cursor not visible
  • Bugfix: Sharing didn’t work

Morse Converter Debian Package

For all my users of Debian-based systems: I made a .deb package, so installing will be much easier. Just download the .deb package and execute the following command as root:

dpkg -i morse-converter.deb

If you’re using an Ubuntu-based distro: I created a ppa for easy installing and updating. Just fire up a terminal and run the following lines:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mmk2410/morse-converter

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install morse-converter

Have a lot of fun!